The world of fitness and strength training is vast and diverse, with a plethora of equipment designed to help you achieve your goals.
One such piece of equipment, often overlooked but crucial for safety and efficiency, is the barbell collar.
This guide will delve into the best Olympic barbell collars available in 2023, providing you with comprehensive insights to make an informed decision.
Table Of Contents
- 1 What Are The Best Olympic Barbell Collars?
- 1.1 Best Barbell Collars Overall – Rogue USA Aluminum Collars
- 1.2 Runner-Up Barbell Collars – Lock-Jaw Pro 2 Barbell Collars
- 1.3 Best Barbell Collars for Specialty Bars – Proloc Collars
- 1.4 Best Premium Barbell Collars – Eleiko Öppen Collars
- 1.5 Best-Looking Barbell Collars – OSO CM-1 Metal Collars
- 1.6 Best Barbell Collars for Dumbbell Handles – Strengthco Barbell Collars
- 1.7 Best Competition Collars – Rogue KG Competition Collars
- 1.8 Best Budget Barbell Collars – DMoose Olympic Barbell Clips
- 1.9 Best Lightweight Barbell Collars – OSO Mighty Collars
- 1.10 Best for CrossFit – Clout Fitness Olympic Barbell Clamps
- 1.11 Best for Standard 1” Barbells – DMoose 1 Inch Barbell Clips
- 1.12 Best Barbell Collars On Amazon – GORILLA JAW Olympic Barbell Clamps
- 1.13 Barbell With Built-In Collars – Gungnir Allrounder Bar
- 1.14 Best for Axle Barbells – Rogue HG 2.0 Axle Collars
- 2 Understanding Barbell Collars
- 3 Factors to Consider When Choosing Barbell Collars
- 4 How to Use and Maintain Olympic Barbell Collars
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Conclusion
What Are The Best Olympic Barbell Collars?
- Best Barbell Collars Overall – Rogue USA Aluminum Collars
- Runner-Up Barbell Collars – Lock-Jaw Pro 2 Barbell Collars
- Best Barbell Collars for Specialty Bars – Proloc Collars
- Best Premium Barbell Collars – Eleiko Öppen Collars
- Best-Looking Barbell Collars – OSO CM-1 Metal Collars
- Best Barbell Collars for Dumbbell Handles – Strengthco Barbell Collars
- Best Competition Collars – Rogue KG Competition Collars
- Best Budget Barbell Collars – DMoose Olympic Barbell Clips
- Best Lightweight Barbell Collars – OSO Mighty Collars
- Best for CrossFit – Clout Fitness Olympic Barbell Clamps
- Best for Standard 1” Barbells – DMoose 1 Inch Barbell Clips
- Best Barbell Collars On Amazon – GORILLA JAW Olympic Barbell Clamps
- Barbell With Built-In Collars – Gungnir Allrounder Bar
- Best for Axle Barbells – Rogue HG 2.0 Axle Collars
Best Barbell Collars Overall – Rogue USA Aluminum Collars
Discover the Rogue USA Aluminum Collars, crafted from high-grade 6061 Billet Aluminum for unmatched strength and lightweight performance. These collars feature a nylon lever and rubber lining for barbell protection and ease of use. With a wider, sturdy lever and multiple Cerakote color options, these US-made, rust-resistant collars are a trusted choice for fitness enthusiasts worldwide.
- Cost – $55 (pair)
- Design – Clamp
- Construction – 6061 Aluminum with a nylon lever and rubber interior lining
- Width – 1.5″
- Weight – 0.5lb per pair
- Color Choices – Standard silver, with additional Cerakote colors available for an extra fee.
- Origin – USA
- Sleeve Size – 2” Olympic
- Finish – Anodized silver with laser etching
Runner-Up Barbell Collars – Lock-Jaw Pro 2 Barbell Collars
Lock-Jaw Pro 2 Barbell Collars are the pinnacle of barbell collar engineering, a product of great convenience and reliability for all gym enthusiasts. These iconic clamps boast a sturdy nylon resin construction and rubber interior lining, giving them superior durability even under the strain of high-impact workouts. With their larger lever and spring-loaded snap latch, they are easy to open and close, ensuring secure attachment and quick removal.
- Cost – $38.99 (sold as pair)
- Design – Clamp
- Construction – Nylon resin construction with rubber interior lining
- Width – 2″
- Weight – 1.0lb/pair
- Color Choices – Black/Red, Blue/Black, Pink/Black, Red/Black
- Origin – China
- Sleeve Size – 2”
Best Barbell Collars for Specialty Bars – Proloc Collars
Transform your workout routine with the versatile Proloc Collars. Boasting a distinct design, these collars are crafted from a rugged nylon resin that ensures longevity. They are a perfect fit for specialty bars and are incredibly straightforward to operate. Available in a stunning range of colors from classic black to vivacious pink, these collars add a pop of color to your workout gear.
- Cost – $57.99 per Pair
- Design – Unique Lock Style
- Construction – 1.75″ Thick Durable Nylon Resin
- Weight – 1 lb per Pair
- Color Choices – Black, Blue, Green, Orange, Red, Purple, Pink, Yellow
- Origin – Made in the USA
- Sleeve Size – 1.937″ to 2.007″
Best Premium Barbell Collars – Eleiko Öppen Collars
Introducing the Eleiko Öppen Collars, a high-end embodiment of functionality and style. These robust clamps, constructed from superior-quality aluminum and nitrile rubber, ensure a firm hold, guaranteeing a safe and efficient workout. Their captivating silver color, combined with an innovative open-end design, not only adds a touch of elegance to your gear but also ensures seamless operation.
- Cost – Priced at $112 for a pair
- Design – Clamp style
- Construction – Crafted with Aluminum and Nitrile Rubber
- Width – Width of 1.35″ and a diameter of 2″
- Weight – Each pair weighs 0.5 kg (1.1 lbs.)
- Color Choices – Available in an attractive silver color
- Origin – Proudly made in Sweden
- Sleeve Size – Compatible with 2″ Olympic sleeves
Best-Looking Barbell Collars – OSO CM-1 Metal Collars
- Cost – $59.50 per pair
- Design – Clamp-style design
- Construction – Features a sturdy 6061 Aluminum body with a nylon lever; inclusive of detachable rubber plugs
- Width – A sleek width of 1.6″
- Weight – A mere 0.9lb per pair
- Color Choices – A vast spectrum from Black, Blue, Light Blue, Green, Red, Orange, Pink, Purple, Gold to Gray, with customizable rubber plug colors
- Origin – Proudly made in the USA
- Sleeve Size – Designed for 50MM Olympic bar sleeves
Best Barbell Collars for Dumbbell Handles – Strengthco Barbell Collars
Embrace the power of an effective workout with the Strengthco Barbell Collars. This sleek, premium set, priced at $60, embodies the perfect blend of performance and style. With a solid aluminum body, these clamp-style collars have a gentle, rubber interior lining to keep your weights securely in place. Sporting a minimalistic 1.25" width, these lightweight champions weigh only 1lb per pair. Their elegant black color and USA origins highlight their superior craftsmanship.
- Cost – $60 (sold as pair)
- Design – Clamp
- Construction – Aluminum with rubber interior lining
- Width – Width: 1.25″
- Weight – 1lb per pair
- Color Choices – Black
- Origin – USA
- Sleeve Size – Compatible with 2” Olympic sleeve size barbells
Best Competition Collars – Rogue KG Competition Collars
Unveiling the magnificent Rogue KG Competition Collars. A paragon of aesthetic beauty and performance prowess, they're meticulously crafted from billet steel, flaunting a hard chrome finish that's both visually stunning and rust-resistant. These impressive collars cater to the 2" Olympic sleeves and come at a width range of 3" - 3.625". Notably, they're built for precision with a weight of 5.0kg per pair, accurate up to a tight tolerance of +/- 10 grams. Priced at $190 for a pair, they promise the quality and strength synonymous with the style - lock.
- Cost – $190/pair
- Design – Lock
- Construction – Billet steel with a hard chrome finish
- Width – Ranges from 3″ – 3.625″
- Weight – 5.0kg/pair (approximately 11 lbs/pair)
- Color Choices – Silver
- Sleeve Size – Fits 2″ Olympic
Best Budget Barbell Collars – DMoose Olympic Barbell Clips
The DMoose Olympic Barbell Clips are designed to provide you with the utmost weightlifting safety by securing the weights tightly onto the bars. The durable material of the barbell clamp is anti-slide, and the rubber pads maximize stability. These weight clamps are designed with a quick-release locking mechanism that allows them to be opened and closed easily. They prevent the annoying rattling of weight plates and help you work out without any interruptions by keeping weights locked in place.
- Cost – $12.99 per pair
- Design – Quick-release locking mechanism that allows them to be opened and closed easily.
- Construction – The collars are made of Nylon, Steel, and Rubber.
- Width – 2.09”
- Weight – 0.13 kg
- Color Choices – The collars are available in multiple colors, including Black, Black/Pink, Red, Pink, Blue, Grey, Yellow, and Green.
- Sleeve Size – 2”
Best Lightweight Barbell Collars – OSO Mighty Collars
Introducing the OSO Mighty Collars - the perfect combination of durability, ease, and style. These premium collars are fabricated with aircraft-grade 6061 aluminum, featuring an attractive, thin, and lightweight design that weighs just 0.3lb per pair. Complemented with a rubber-lined interior for bar protection, these collars promise an ideal blend of convenience and functionality. Designed to fit 2" Olympic sleeves, they come in gunmetal and blue, providing a stylish accent to your workout gear. Sold affordably at $35 per pair, these American-made collars exude quality without breaking the bank.
- Cost – $35/pair (sold as pair)
- Design – Clamp
- Construction – Aircraft-grade 6061 Aluminum with nylon lever and rubber interior lining
- Width – 1.3″
- Weight – 0.3lb/pair
- Color Choices – Gunmetal and Blue
- Origin – USA
- Sleeve Size – 2″ Olympic
Best for CrossFit – Clout Fitness Olympic Barbell Clamps
Experience an unrivaled blend of safety and efficiency with Clout Fitness's Olympic Barbell Clamps. Designed with your workout in mind, these lightweight yet sturdy clamps keep your weights firmly in place, providing you peace of mind and optimal performance. Outfitted with an interior rubber lining to protect your bars, and available in an array of vibrant colors, these clamps effortlessly blend functionality with style.
- Cost – Super cheap at $13.97
- Design – Crafted with a quick-release lever, these collars are ready to adapt to your ever-changing workout routines. Sold in pairs, they’re always ready for action.
- Construction – The collars are made of strong ABS plastic and stainless steel pins, which makes them durable and resistant to damage.
- Width – The clamps have a 2-inch diameter.
- Weight – Weighing in at a mere 9.29 ounces, these collars are light yet sturdy, ready to withstand your most intense workouts.
- Color Choices – The collars are available in multiple colors including Black, Black/Red, Blue, Brown, Gray, Green, Olive Green, Orange, Pink, Purple, Red, Sky Blue, Sky Blue/Black, White, White/Black, and Yellow.
- Origin – Made in China.
- Sleeve Size – Perfectly designed to fit a 2-inch barbell or specialty bar, these collars are the ideal companion for your weightlifting journey.
Best for Standard 1” Barbells – DMoose 1 Inch Barbell Clips
- Cost – $12.99
- Design – The weight collars feature an anti-slide design, with an effective, quick-release locking mechanism.
- Construction – Nylon-Steel-Rubber
- Width – 1″ (Standard Barbell)
- Weight – 0.13 Kilograms
- Color Choices – Black, Blue, Gray, Green, Magenta, Red, Yellow
- Sleeve Size – Available in 1″ (Standard Barbell) and 2″ (Olympic Barbell) Sizes.
Best Barbell Collars On Amazon – GORILLA JAW Olympic Barbell Clamps
Experience an unbeatable, secure grip with the GORILLA JAW Olympic Barbell Clamps. Boasting a vivid yellow/black design, these barbell clamps are designed for serious weightlifters, enabling reliable and swift weight plate changes. Whether you're into CrossFit, Olympic lifts, deadlifts, or traditional strength training, these durable clamps provide the stability you need. Made from premium, reinforced nylon, the clamps ensure your plates remain firmly in place, even during the most intense workout sessions.
- Cost – $23.99
- Design – Modern
- Construction – Reinforced molded premium nylon lock material
- Width – Heavy-Duty 2-inch Plate Clamps
- Weight – 0.25 Kilograms
- Color Choices – Red, Black, Green, Pink, Yellow/Black
- Sleeve Size – Designed to fit a 2” Olympic barbell
Barbell With Built-In Collars – Gungnir Allrounder Bar
- Price – A whopping $699
- Knurl Type – Medium knurl with an attention-grabbing center knurl
- Tensile Strength – Impressive 216,000 PSI
- Weight – Comes in a standard 20kg, perfect for serious lifters
- Shaft Diameter – Measures a sleek 28mm, tailor-made for dedicated weightlifters
- Shaft Finish – Features an elegant satin hard chrome finish that catches the eye
- Sleeve Finish – Flaunts an enduring electroless nickel coating for long-lasting performance
- Rotation System – Equipped with a cutting-edge bushing system for smooth rotations
- Country of Origin – Proudly made in Norway, known for its excellence in craftsmanship
- Warranty – Backed by a lifetime warranty, ensuring peace of mind for a lifetime of lifting.
Best for Axle Barbells – Rogue HG 2.0 Axle Collars
Introducing the Rogue HG 2.0 Axle Collars - a must-have tool for your training regime. Created with tenacity and ease of use in mind, these collars are designed to clamp on 1.9” axle barbells effortlessly. With a hardy construction made from resilient resin materials, they offer a durable solution for maintaining barbell integrity during rigorous workouts. With a featherlight weight of only 0.5 lbs per pair, you won't even notice they're there. Moreover, the one-hand removal, super-fast tightening, and releasing mechanism make them a dream to operate. These collars ensure excellent grip without causing any damage to your barbells.
- Cost – The cost varies depending on the quantity you purchase. For 1 pair, it costs $45.00. For 5 pairs, it costs $200.00. For 10 pairs, it costs $400.00. And for 20 pairs, it costs $765.00.
- Design – Lock-in design
- Construction – The collars are made of durable resin.
- Width – 2″
- Weight – 0.5 lbs
- Color Choices – Red/black
- Origin – The website does not specify the origin of the product.
- Sleeve Size – 1.9″
Understanding Barbell Collars
Barbell collars, also known as weight clips, are essential gym equipment that secure weight plates onto the barbell, preventing them from slipping off during your workout.
This ensures your safety and allows you to focus on your form and performance rather than worrying about the weights.
Sure, let’s delve into the different types of barbell collars mentioned in your list.
Spring collars are a type of barbell collar made of a flexible metal coil, designed to secure weight plates in place.
They are easy to use, versatile, durable, and cost-effective, but may not provide as secure a hold as other types of collars, like lock-jaw or screw-on collars.
Lock-Jaw Collars are a popular choice among fitness enthusiasts due to their secure hold and ease of use.
They use a clamp mechanism that locks onto the barbell, ensuring the weights stay in place even during intense workouts.
They are typically made of durable materials like plastic or metal and are designed to withstand heavy use.
Screw collars, also known as spin-lock collars, are another type of barbell collar.
They feature a threaded end that you manually screw onto the barbell sleeve, providing a secure hold.
While they can take a bit more time to put on and take off, they are known for their reliability and are often used in commercial gyms.
Quick Release Collars
Quick Release Collars are designed for easy and fast weight changes.
They typically feature a lever or button that, when pressed, opens the collar for quick placement or removal.
This type of collar is ideal for workouts that require frequent weight changes, such as circuit training or CrossFit.
Competition Collars are used in professional weightlifting competitions.
They are usually made of high-quality metal and are heavier than other types of collars.
This added weight ensures a secure hold on the weights, which is crucial during a competition.
They often feature a locking mechanism for added security.
Lever Collars are a type of quick-release collar that uses a lever to secure the collar onto the barbell.
They are easy to use and provide a secure hold.
To attach a lever collar, you slide it onto the barbell sleeve and then flip the lever to lock it in place.
To remove it, you simply flip the lever in the opposite direction.
Each type of collar has its advantages and is suited to different types of workouts and personal preferences.
When choosing a collar, consider your workout style, the type of barbell you use, and your budget.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Barbell Collars
Durability is a crucial factor to consider when choosing barbell collars.
You want to ensure that the collars can withstand heavy use without breaking or wearing out quickly.
Look for collars made from high-quality materials and have good customer reviews regarding their durability.
Ease of Use
The ease of use is another important consideration.
Some collars, like spring collars, are straightforward to use but may not provide the same level of security as other types.
Others, like lock-jaw or lever collars, may offer a more secure hold but take a bit more time to put on and take off.
Choose a collar that suits your workout style and personal preferences.
Security is paramount when it comes to barbell collars.
The last thing you want is for your weights to slip off the barbell during a workout, which could lead to injury.
Look for collars that provide a secure hold and have positive customer reviews regarding their security.
Price is always a consideration when buying any piece of gym equipment.
While it’s important to invest in high-quality collars, you also want to ensure you’re getting good value for your money.
Consider your budget and compare prices from different brands to find a collar that offers the best balance of quality and affordability.
The material of the collar can affect its durability, security, and price.
Common materials include metal, plastic, and rubber.
Metal collars are typically the most durable and secure, but they can also be the most expensive.
Plastic collars are usually more affordable and still offer a good level of security, while rubber collars provide a good balance of durability, security, and affordability.
Compatibility with Barbell
Finally, you need to ensure that the collar is compatible with your barbell.
Most collars are designed to fit standard barbells, but some are made for specialty barbells with larger diameters.
Check the product specifications to ensure the collar will fit your barbell.
By considering these factors, you can find the perfect barbell collar that suits your needs and helps you achieve your fitness goals safely and effectively.
How to Use and Maintain Olympic Barbell Collars
Proper usage of barbell collars is crucial to ensure safety and longevity.
Regardless of the type of collar, the general rule is to slide them onto the barbell sleeve after loading your weights, and then secure them.
For clamp-style and lock-style collars, you secure them by pushing the lever or threading the bolt down.
For spring-style collars, you squeeze the handles to expand the ring’s diameter, slide them onto the sleeve, then release the handles to secure them.
Cleaning and Maintenance
Regular cleaning and maintenance of your barbell collars can significantly extend their lifespan.
After each use, wipe them down to remove sweat and grime.
For metal collars, consider applying a thin layer of oil occasionally to prevent rust.
If your collars have moving parts, ensure they move freely and apply lubricant if necessary.
Always store your collars in a dry and clean place to prevent damage.
Safety should always be your top priority when using barbell collars.
Always ensure the collars are secure before starting your workout.
If you notice any damage or wear on your collars, replace them immediately.
Never attempt to use a damaged collar as it can lead to weights slipping off the barbell, potentially causing injury.
Lastly, always use collars when lifting weights, even if the weights feel secure without them.
It’s better to be safe than sorry.
By following these guidelines on how to use and maintain your Olympic barbell collars, you can ensure a safe and effective workout while extending the lifespan of your collars.
Remember, your safety is paramount, and proper usage and maintenance of your equipment is a key part of that.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now I turn it over to you!
Which barbell collars do you plan on getting for your home gym?
Let me know in the comment section below, right now!
Until next time,